Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Definitely, Microsoft needs a PR. Live.com

So a few days ago as my laptop was automatically trying to sign me into Skype, MSN Messenger and the like, a dialog popped up asking me if I wanted to freely update my MSN Messenger. I said no, since I did not quite know what new stuff it would bring me, and how that would improve my life. I kept on working.

But a little bit later I realized that I was not logged in at MSN. I tried it, and then the dialog appeared again. So what happens is that you MUST update MSN if you want to use it!!! First missing opportunity: leverage how far you want to push your users, even if what you offer is free.

OK, so I decided to update. And a long, tedious process started where I was not only offered to update my MSN Messenger to Live.com, but also offered me *by default* a myriad of apps that I didn't want or care for. But that's ok. The problem is when the installation finished, and Live.com welcomed me.




It's in spanish, but you can clearly see what's happened. My new "Live.com" is dead.com. And I know, it might not be Live, but Vista, but I don't quite care now. Microsoft missed yet another opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment